definitions of thesaurus terminology
definitions of terms used in thesaurus entries
- SCOPE NOTE: explains HOW the term has been used to index items in the library database; defines the term
- USE: denotes a preferred term or phrase
- USED FOR: indicates terms or phrases that are NOT used to index items in the library database; these terms or phrases are considered synonymous with the indicated preferred term (only use "preferred terms" when searching the library database)
- BROADER TERM: broader or more general terms or phrases
- NARROWER TERM: narrower or more specific terms or phrases; a subset of the indicated broader term
- RELATED TERM: a term or phrase that is conceptually or associatively linked with the indicated preferred term
Thesaurus: 1501 entries.
PROVINCES AND TERRITORIES (Search for related entries in the library)
Scope Note: Used to identify statistical tables that provide geographic specificity to the level of Canadian provinces and/or territories.
- NARROWER TERM(S)
PSYCHOLOGY (Search for related entries in the library)
Scope Note: Goods and services considered essential and universal that are designed and delivered collectively and by governments or by enterprises regulated and funded by governments (e.g. electricity, health and social care, roads, and water).
PUBLIC HEALTH (Search for related entries in the library)
Scope Note: Practices adopted by societies to prevent illness and disease, and to enhance health, among its members. Includes building of sanitation infrastructure or the dispersal of education on disease prevention.
- BROADER TERM(S)
- RELATED TERM(S)