definitions of thesaurus terminology
definitions of terms used in thesaurus entries
- SCOPE NOTE: explains HOW the term has been used to index items in the library database; defines the term
- USE: denotes a preferred term or phrase
- USED FOR: indicates terms or phrases that are NOT used to index items in the library database; these terms or phrases are considered synonymous with the indicated preferred term (only use "preferred terms" when searching the library database)
- BROADER TERM: broader or more general terms or phrases
- NARROWER TERM: narrower or more specific terms or phrases; a subset of the indicated broader term
- RELATED TERM: a term or phrase that is conceptually or associatively linked with the indicated preferred term
Thesaurus: 1501 entries.
DOWNSIZING (Search for related entries in the library)
Scope Note: A trend in private business and public organizations to scale back operations and/or cut the labour force. Economic hardship is often used as justification, though it is frequently applied in settings that continue to earn enormous profit.
DUAL SYSTEMS THEORY (Search for related entries in the library)
Scope Note: A strand of socialist feminist theory dominant in the 1980s that characterizes patriarchy and capitalism as autonomous systems which operate in tandem.
DUAL-EARNER FAMILIES (Search for related entries in the library)
Scope Note: Families in which both partners contribute to the earnings of a family through participation in the paid labour force. The concentration of dual-earner families grew considerably in the post-WWII era in many western nations.