definitions of thesaurus terminology
definitions of terms used in thesaurus entries
- SCOPE NOTE: explains HOW the term has been used to index items in the library database; defines the term
- USE: denotes a preferred term or phrase
- USED FOR: indicates terms or phrases that are NOT used to index items in the library database; these terms or phrases are considered synonymous with the indicated preferred term (only use "preferred terms" when searching the library database)
- BROADER TERM: broader or more general terms or phrases
- NARROWER TERM: narrower or more specific terms or phrases; a subset of the indicated broader term
- RELATED TERM: a term or phrase that is conceptually or associatively linked with the indicated preferred term
Thesaurus search results for 'COLONIALISM': 2 results found.
COLONIALISM (Search for related entries in the library)
Scope Note: The policy or practice of one nation or empire controlling another area via settlement and continued subjugation, typically for economic gain by extracting natural or other resources and labour.
POSTCOLONIALISM (Search for related entries in the library)
Scope Note: The discourse, often focused on the representation of indigenous or marginalized populations, about the legacies of colonialism in independent countries that are still structurally dependent on the former colonial power or other countries.
- RELATED TERM(S)